Health & Safety Bulletin – Lock Out / Tag Out – Aug 17
Lock Out / Tag Out (LOTO) is the process established to lock out and tag malfunctioning equipment until is repaired and tested for safety. LOTO maintains a “Zero Energy State” in malfunctioning equipment before and during repairs.
- Identify potential hazards
- Notify all affected employees
- Turn OFF all operating controls
- Isolate all energy sources
- Lock Out all switches and energy controls
- Test the operating controls and ensure machines will not operate
- Return all operating controls to the OFF position after the test
- Perform required task
- Remove Lock Out devices only after the equipment is fully assembled and repaired.