Health & Safety Bulletin – Importance Of Risk Assessment During Covid-19 – Jan 21
Risk management is a proactive process that both business units have adopted to respond to change and facilitate continuous improvement in the business especially during the COVID-19 health pandemic.
Risk Assessment during Covid-19
Managing workplace health and safety risks is an ongoing process and requires management commitment.
Risk assessments should be reviewed periodically as the operating environment changes especially during this time COVID-19 or when there is a threat to public safety and health. Alternate arrangements such as:
- Responding to workplace incidents (e.g. where a worker was tested positive to Covid-19).
- Changes to work practices, procedures, or the work environment.
The risk management workflow highlights the importance of the following steps:
- identification of hazards; – it is important to find out what could cause harm.
- knowing the risks, – understanding the nature of the harm that could be caused by the hazard, how serious the harm could be and the likelihood of it happening.
- controlling the risks; – implementation of the most effective control measure that is reasonablly practicable in the circumstances and ensure that it remains effective over time.
- review and maintain control measures. Ensure that the identified controls are working as planned.
Consultation with workers is required at each step of the risk management process as this is where best possible control measures are discussed during the toolbox meeting, safety meetings, and other operational meetings.